Ragan’s Friendly Neighbor History
Born and raised in Dickson County with deep local roots, Henry V. and Nancy Ragan moved back to Dickson in 1946 where 26 year old Henry opened his first business, Henry V. Ragan Plumbing and Heating Company in downtown Dickson near the corner of W. Walnut and S. Main Streets. His 10x10 building included his office, shop, and warehouse. Later he founded Ragan and Hamilton General Contractors with his brother-in-law, Vernon Hamilton. The business which expanded into American Maintenance and Service Corporation was located on Church Street in the 1950’s. In 1962 Henry sold out to his partner and opened the Friendly Neighbor Store at 106 E. College Street. By the late 1960’s he had moved that business to the corner of College and Main Streets where Ragan’s Friendly Neighbor Store continues to serve the public in western Middle Tennessee with furniture, appliances, and mattresses under the management and ownership of the Ragan’s son, Dale Ragan, who has been associated with the business for over 50 years.
Be sure to visit our neighbors next door at Ragan’s Arcade.
Ragan’s (Dickson) Arcade
204 N. Main Street Downtown Dickson
The building was home to the Dickson Theater from the late 1940’s to early 1960’s. Since the early 1960’s the building has been home over the years to scores of various independent professional services and retail businesses. As of the Fall 2023, such services and businesses offering services from their offices in the Arcade include Ragan’s Five Rivers Realty, Debbie’s Tax and Bookkeeping Service, Destination Unknown Travel Agency, Doc’s Barber Shop, Michael Meise Attorney at Law, Next Era and others. For information regarding any available space or current occupants and services you can find in the Arcade, contact owner/agent Dale Ragan at Ragan’s Five Rivers Realty Company 615-446-2359 in the Arcade or at Ragan’s Friendly Neighbor Store next door. 615-446-2356. At the corner of College & Main Streets next to Ragan’s Friendly Neighbor Store is Sawdust Boutique.